Welcome to my website
This is the home page of my main website. Sections will come and go.
The navigation items above are for pages within the main site.
The navigation panel to the left is for other websites, designed by me, which are located on this site (or will be). These will open in a new window.
There are also links to websites I have made for other people, the sites being located elsewhere.
I design websites because I enjoy designing and building them!
What makes a good website?
A good website to be
- practical, first and foremost - pages which fulfil the reason for the website;
- easy to read - good, clear text with plenty of contrast between text and background;
- easy to navigate - items are on expected pages and it is easy to go back and forth between pages;
- pleasing to the eye - good alignments with plenty of space around page elements;
- colourful, but without being gaudy; skillful use of colour can make it very pleasing to the eye. But it depends on what type of site it is. Corporate websites tend to be more conservative; artists tend to be more outgoing in their choice of colour and design.
Other components, such as Flash or other animations, can be used to great effect - or not - depending on the type of website. Some people like them, to add interest to the site, especially if the site is for young people or modern use; other people hate them and think they have no place on a business website. In the end it comes down to what the owner of the website wants.